Sunday, September 20, 2015

Anne of Green Gables, My Daughter and Me by Lorilee Craker




I first discovered Anne Shirley when I was in my twenties, and this past year had the privilege of introducing both of my daughters to her delightful story. Generally, I enjoy reading memoirs and was excited to read this book. Especially after having revisited the story of Anne of Green Gables recently.

However, this was a book I just couldn't get into. I know that in order to appeal to a larger audience (i.e. those who perhaps haven't read Anne of Green Gables), the author needed to explain the story of Anne of Green Gables...but I found so much of the book to be just another retelling of the book, and that's just not my thing. I cannot help but think there must be a better way to relate personal experiences to the book's experiences without retelling the book. I found myself wanting more memoir and less book re-telling. 

Sadly this book did not live up to my expectations. I know others have thoroughly enjoyed it, so perhaps my dissatisfaction has more to do with the style of writing and less to do with the quality. 



I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment