Sunday, December 15, 2013

Love and Respect in the Family by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs


I was very eager to read this book and it did not disappoint. I'm a big fan of Love & Respect, and the ideas of parents desiring respect and kids needing love really resonated with me.

Dr. Eggerichs divides this book into three parts: 1) the family crazy cycle, 2) the family energizing cycle and 3) the family rewarded cycle. With personal stories, confessions and suggestions, he defines each of these cycles and gives solid advice on how to parent using the love and respect model.

In the second section of the book, the family energizing cycle, Dr. Eggerichs outlines specific areas to work on using the acronym GUIDES. These include Give, Understand, Instruct, Discipline, Encourage and Supplicate. Not only does he write extensively about each, he comes back to these ideas over and over with new insight. I found this the most helpful part of the book and am sure I'll come back to it over and over.

This is by far one of my favorite parenting books (and I've read a lot of parenting books!). Just as I've seen value in applying the love and respect model in my marriage, I am excited to see it's influence in my parenting as well.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment