Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Year With God


I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of devotionals. I used to depend on them for my "daily bread", but have found simply reading through the Bible to be much more beneficial in my spiritual journey. After having finished reading through the entire Bible this year, I thought I would give another devotional a try.

This devotional of 365 readings contains passages from the Old Testament followed by Nettlehorst's thoughts. I found it interesting that the book did not included any information about it's author and that several translations were used for the scripture readings. It would be interesting and perhaps helpful to know why certain translations were chosen. Each devotion is a page in length and is mostly divided evenly between scripture and reflections. This definitely appealed to me, as I like to read more scripture than human interpretation.

The book is divided into related yet contrasting topics such as Hope and Fear, Forgiveness and Anger, and Faith and Doubt. I also liked that the daily readings were numbered and not dated. This allows readers to use the book more freely, and not feel locked in by dates.

Overall I found Nettelhorst's reflections interesting, though not overly thought provoking.

I received this book free form the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment