Sunday, November 21, 2010

Outlive Your Life




I haven't read a lot of Max Lucado's books so I wasn't drawn to his newest one because of his popularity. Rather, it was the subject of the book that was appealing to me. The subtitle "You were made to make a difference" really resonated with me and I was curious to see what Max had to say about it.

Each chapter focuses on a theme and Max uses both Biblical (mostly from Acts) and real life stories to illustrate each theme. Some of these themes include the importance of prayer, persecution, doing good quietly and the power of working together as teams. The book is full of scripture and inspirational stories as well as wise words from a great author. I also enjoyed how each chapter ended with a sincere prayer that the reader could personalize for their own growth.

Some of my favorite moments include the following:

On persecution -
So how can we prepare ourselves? Simple. Imitate the disciples. Linger long and often in the presence of Christ. Meditate on his grace. Ponder his love. Memorize his words. Gaze into his face. Talk to him. Courage comes as we live with Jesus.


On standing up for the have-nots -
Get ticked off. Riled up enough to respond. Righteous anger would do a world of good. Poverty is not the lack of charity but the lack of justice. Why do a billion people go to bed hungry every night? Why do nearly thirty thousand children die every day, one every three seconds, from hunger and preventable diseases?


On compassion -
The sign of the saved is their concern for those in n
eed. Compassion does not save them - or us. Salvation is the work of Christ. Compassion is the consequence of salvation.


This is a book I would probably read more than once, and if I did, I would likely gain new insight each time I read it. In this book, Max calls Christians to action. I also appreciate that one hundred percent of the royalties will benefit children and families through World Vision and other faith-based, compassion ministries.

I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson as part of their Book Sneeze blogging review program, in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the theme of this book and the personal testimonies, but I have a hard time reading Lucado. He's a gifted writer, but I just get bogged down in all the adjectives.

    Are you on Goodreads.com? If so, look me up...Megan Franks!

    P.S. I noticed that you teach Suzuki method--it's great! My daugther started it until her teacher moved away. I wish I had a Suzuki-style teacher nearby so that *I* could take violin lessons! :)

    ReplyDelete